– Technical Director - Job Description
Title: Technical Director
Reports to: Artistic Director, with evaluations at the end of each season
Hours: Full-time (40 hours); some nights and weekends Salary Range 38k -42K
Jubilee Theatre is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to create and present theatrical works which reflect the African American experience. The company has been in existence for 39 years and operates out of a 143-seat theatre in the heart of downtown Fort Worth (506 Main Street).
Job Summary: The Technical Director is primarily responsible for supervision and implementation of all production elements (lighting, sound, set design and construction, etc.) of all Jubilee productions. The Technical Director ensures safe-working practices, provides minimal production management for the use of the theatre spaces by outside groups and facilitates repair and maintenance of the theatre resources and equipment. Key to this is a strong work ethic centered on excellent organizational skills and the ability to develop and maintain positive, collaborative relationships and communications with all artistic parties (designers, actors, etc.), as well as administrative staff, board members, and volunteers.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversee and implement the Jubilee production elements, including build, paint, props, maintenance and strike
- Determines the necessary technical supports, such as lighting, sound, staging, and special needs, necessary for s and performances in advance of production dates
- Advises Artistic Director and Managing Director on the technical specifications, costs and usage of technical equipment required for the individual show
- Designs, supervises and assists with set and stage construction and management
- Read and interpret blueprints, drawings and plots, supplementing design work as needed
- Complete construction of all scenic design elements within the designated time period as determined by the overall production schedule
- Design, set up, maintain and operate sound, lighting, stage and other technical equipment and systems
- Ensure smooth operation of the technical aspects of all productions
- Board operation during performances
- Assist with the preparation of and manage technical operation budgets; maintain inventory and order specialized supplies
- Purchase, lease and/or borrow equipment as needed, within specified budgetary limits
- Make recommendations to the Managing Director regarding capital purchases of technical equipment
- Ensure that invoices for payment and/or receipts for disbursement, with respect to authorized expenditures, are promptly submitted being proficient and efficient with all expenditures made within the budget
- Monitor the condition of equipment including lighting, sound, and rigging equipment; arrange for the repair and replacement within budgetary constraints; performs prive maintenance on equipment
- Maintain current knowledge of all equipment and supervise training on all equipment
- Help recruit, manage and retain stagehand volunteers
- Develop, implement and monitor policies to ensure a safe-work environment in the back stage and stage areas
- Attend required production meetings
- Serve as Building Supervisor after normal hours of operation, or during assigned productions and rental s
- In conjunction with the Artistic Director, develops the yearlong production calendar detailing all rehearsals, materials acquisition, set build, tech, strike and all other related production task
- Management of all load in materials and return of borrowed items.
- Develops and maintains relationships with local designers, builders, & colleges with technical training programs
- Provides an annual technical inventory of all equipment with recommendations for replacement, or refurbishment
- Stays abreast of new technology and software relative to lighting and audio engineering.
- Additional duties as assigned by the Artistic Director
- Ability and knowledge base to handle multiple, simultaneous tasks in a timely manner
- Collaborative attitude
- Heavy lifting abilities
- Competent, working knowledge of theatrical equipment, design tools and software.
- A creative problem solver
- A long - term organizational planner.
- 3+ years as a technical director or build supervisor
- 3+ years managing projects with a budget of $10, 000 or more.
- Minimum of a BFA in Technical Theatre, or combination of degree and documented work experience, MFA preferred.
- Familiarity with ADA and OSHA compliance regulations
Send resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Jubilee Players dba Jubilee Theatre is an equal opportunity employer